Saturday, March 6, 2010

I gave up CLUTTER for Lent!


Yeah! today we finally sold our old car -- definitely the biggest piece of clutter around the house ;-)

Our house is officially FULL.
I have spent the last week working very hard, using every free minute to clean up our house. I must admit that although I blame the kids toys and clothes on much of the "stuff" we trip over, a good portion of the house space is occupied by my "toys." I certainly have a few sewing machines; a serger; an entire press and attic stocked with quilting, fashion and decor fabric and notions; another press full of knitting wool/yarn; and two book cases devoted mostly to crafting books and patterns. Hmmm ...

Hubby has his "toys" too - more cameras, camcorders and computers than we have family members, and his more recent interest in musical instruments keeps us all entertained :-)

Beyond the basic de-cluttering treatments of purging everything that's broken, outgrown and no longer in use, and organising what's left, I have set myself to the big task of finishing my UFOs (unfinished objects) and WIPs (works in progress).

The plan here is 3-fold:
1) Finish projects A-Z and give and give them on to intended recipients (read: out of the house!)
2) Clear out excess supplies from finished projects
3) Get my Etsy and Dawanda sales sites renewed and active by selling some of my finished work.
The 3rd goal of course will hopefully give me a few more quid to buy more supplies!
Wait - not until I've finished a few more current projects.

Sometimes I make lists just so I can cross them off (you know you've done it)
So, this is what I've done so far in reducing my stash ---
1. Knit a Square and Show You Care
The Charity event I talked about earlier has been great for my stash-diet. So far I have contributed 8 completed baby blankets, 30+ finished 6-inch squares, 20+ mini squares, and 3 grocery bags of yarn.
2. Online Angels
When I started learning knitting and crochet I discovered this wonderful charity via Bev's Country Cottage, where I was on the hunt for free charity patterns. Online Angels help people in need of comfort with Love-ghans and prayer boxes and other useful items as required. This week I sent off a small package with knitted baby hats, 2 finished 6-inch crocheted squares, 3 hope-circles, 5 small balls of mohair yarn, and a small sandwich bag including cancelled stamps, pop-tabs and a small angel lapel pin.
3. The Lighthouse
I finished 2 large men's sweaters which were given to me nearly completed for the purpose of pulling apart and resusing the wool. In the bag was more of the same wool, so I decided it would be more useful to finish the two sweaters and donate them to the Lighthouse, which put a call-out for warm men's clothing through a member of our Church. All that was required was to add finished edge to the neck and sleeves of both, and one button each. VoilĂ !
4. Indoor Market
This Thursday, 11 March 2010, 10am-1pm at the Colmcille's GAA in Swords, our local Cuidiu parenting organisation will be holding a huge Indoor Market at the. I have registered for a table! Many of the sellers are mums who will be selling children's toys and clothes at bargain prices. I believe there will be a Hand-Crafter's section of new hand-made items. I understand there will also be a large charity table in aid of Earthquake Relief for Haiti.

So, enough chat. Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment